12/08/2004

'Tis the Season for Holiday Idiocy!

Christmas is upon us once again. It's not like you can hide from it, the stores have had their decorations out since the end of October. And like Christmas seasons past, it's full of idiot Scrooge-Grinch-Assholes (pardon my French) who insist on ruining it for everyone in the name of not offending anyone.

Apparently it is offensive and evil to wish someone a 'Merry Christmas,' especially if the person isn't one of the 90% of the North American population that celebrates Christmas you must wish them the more secular 'Season's Greetings' or 'Happy Holidays' instead or the members of these minorities will burst into flames from outrage at someone from another religion wishing them a happy time in the midst of a gloomy winter.

It's an intriguing theory, but still just a theory, because I have yet to see one member of that 10% minority actually say that they are offended by Christmas. In fact, the people who claim that the minority is offended are actually members of the majority that have an axe to grind with what they view as 'traditional values' and use the shield of political correctness to wage war against the roots of what's supposed to be a happy holiday.

I'm a Catholic, not a lapsed Catholic, more like a relaxed Catholic and if a Jewish person wishes me a 'Happy Chanukkah,' I'll wish them a happy time right back. If a Muslim or Hindu wishes me to have good fortune and happiness during their holy times, I'll take it with a smile and repay the compliment by wishing them happiness and good fortune during my holy times.

And do you know why?

Because I'm not a complete jerk.

I'm a jerk, I'll admit that, but not a complete jerk.

Anyone who is offended by someone wishing them well, doesn't deserve to be wished well in the first place.

So to all those Scrooges and Grinches who can think of nothing better to do this holiday season than to be offended by happiness, I say this:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
You complete jerks...

1 comment:

Annie said...

Vox...I am wondering if you know that the background on your blog is so dark that it cannot be viewed on some computer screens. Just thought I would mention it.